Ever since I started working at a Japanese place to pass some summer time away, I’ve seen, smelled and tasted so much mayonnaise in sushi rolls it’s almost embarrassing. You’d think that over-exposure to anything ‘d put you off it forever, but no, that’s not how my body works. Just today, I woke up with an intense craving for an egg mayonnaise sandwich (one of my first loves from childhood) and decided to cave into it. New cheat-day rule: Any day.
Thankfully, just as my fingertips were beepity-boppity-booping about the surface of the mayonnaise jar, a lone ranger sitting right at the edge of the uppermost shelf whistled at me. Decked in a swampy-green, bruised black by the triumphant scars of ripeness (getting all drama-mama here, aren’t we), stood one of nature’s best creations winking at me: the avocado.
This healthy sweet potato-avocado recipe (sweet potatoes are a healthier, more filling alternative to potatoes while avocados provide a good dose of healthy fats) doubles up as a healthy dip alternative to your cheesy-abyss-of-death nacho sauces – just cut back on the sweet potatoes and double your portion of avocado mash.
The avocado mash substitutes mayonnaise for a creamy, rich base while the sweet potatoes add a bit of sweetness to what makes a legit “egg mayo” sandwich. I chose to pair my “egg mayo” with a whole-wheat tortilla wrap, throwing in some crunchy lettuce leaves and tomato for an added nutritional boost, but feel free to go freestyle with a slice of whole-wheat toast or a couple of brown rice crackers!
Healthy Sweet Potato-Avocado “Egg Mayo”
Serves: 3 (110 kcal/serving)
- 1 medium-sized sweet potato, chopped into small chunks
- 1 medium-sized avocado, mashed (look out for ripened avocados – bruised-black)
- 2 eggs
- Pinch of salt
- Lots and lots of ground black pepper
- Bring a small pot of water to boil. Drop in sweet potato chunks and egg. Remove after 8 minutes (I prefer my egg yolk three-quarter runny for this recipe, but if you prefer hard-boiled eggs yolks, leave in boiling water for an additional 2 minutes).
- Mash sweet potato while hot with a fork. Add in avocado.
- Peel boiled egg, add to sweet potato mash. Add in mashed avocado. Mash everything together.
- Season with a pinch of salt and a generous dash of black pepper. Voila!